Looking for a job in the USA
Here’s all you need to know about employment in the country
Today, we will look at the best tips and tricks to help you find a job in America.
As you know, searching for job openings can be both time-consuming and unproductive. If you’re not sure how to approach it, you can waste countless hours aimlessly looking for opportunities that might not even exist. If you know where to look, you can save yourself a lot of time and use it more productively.
First, there are three main online resources that you should consider: Google jobs, Indeed and LinkedIn.
- Search engines such as Google and Yahoo etc. can be extremely helpful – they contain an enormous amount of search results and sorting through them all is made easier with effective keywords. Besides that, you can sign up for an email alert service so as soon as a job matching your criteria is posted online, you will receive an email about it.
- In recent years, Indeed has become one of the most valuable job search websites for job seekers. It currently holds over 2 billion job listings and this number is constantly growing. The best thing about it is that you can find jobs in your area by simply entering your postcode.
- Another helpful job search website for finding vacancies in America is LinkedIn – a professional social network where companies tend to advertise their job openings. It is often more effective than other job search engines because you don’t even have to apply to the vacancy – many companies will simply give you a call if they like your profile.
- You should also take advantage of local newspapers and online classifieds such as Craigslist. If there’s a specific type of company that you’re interested in, you might want to consider visiting their website and looking for vacancies there.
While searching for jobs can sometimes be discouraging, using the tips above as well as your own research will make the entire process significantly more manageable and rewarding.
As the U.S. economy recovers, many people are looking for ways to find jobs in the USA.
Even large companies like IBM, General Motors and Dell recently announced that they would hire more workers soon.
If you live outside of the USA, here is how to find job opportunities online:
- Step 1: Google “job sites” or “online employment.”
- Step 2: Find a reputable site that has US job listings (be careful not to click on links where you might download malware). A good way to figure out which sites are legitimate is if the site only has ads rather than content, avoid it.
- Step 3: Find out if the site is free or pays to post job listings, how much they are, and which jobs are available. If you have a LinkedIn account, you can get alerts when new jobs are posted in your desired field. You can also search for positions that interest you on Indeed or Simply Hired.
- Step 4: Gather all of your information together (resume, cover letter) and write up a professional e-mail to send to hiring managers. Don’t forget to include contact information!
Some tips when you using online sites to apply for the jobs
- Always make sure that English is your first language before applying for non-English speaking jobs!
- They often list jobs under more than one category, be sure to click around the site to find related listings.
- If you want to expand your job search even further, consider international sites including Monster, StepStone, and CareerJet . These sites also have ex-pat forums that could be helpful if you need career advice or just want to learn about living in a foreign country.
- Make sure that you read all of the requirements carefully before applying for jobs online! Many employers are looking for specific experience, education levels, etc. Also make sure check whether the company offers relocation assistance because some will offer this service while others won’t.
- You can download an app like JobToday which is a mobile job board that can help you find your next job on-the-go.
- Always be aware of scammers, so read up on the do’s and don’ts before applying for jobs online!
In order to find a job, you should create a resume and cover letter. You can take your time with this because it is usually the first step. If you want work experience, then write your past experiences down on your resume. Make sure that you use an up-to-date format for both of these things because other employers might not accept old ones. It also helps if other people look at them over before sending them out because they could be better written by someone else besides yourself!
Recruiters and human resources professionals choose where to post their open jobs based on several factors: which sites are easy to use, which ones have produced good results in the past and how much it costs to post job openings.
The best job search websites include:
We have prepared for you the list of the top 10 job sites in the United States to spare your bother in discovering these top employment sites. This list of workplaces helps you discover the proper platform to check posted vacancies. We are certain that this list will make your recruiting easier and quicker.
- Google for Jobs.
- U.S. News job search site.
Another important thing to do when looking for jobs is to make sure that all of your information is correct on the internet. You should have your resume posted on different job boards, your cover letter online, and you must have a very attractive LinkedIn account. This way employers can find you easily when they are looking for employees!
These jobs vary from level of entry, executive, independent and full-time. FlexJobs has been highlighted in the news, including the New York Times, the New York Times and many more.
A great resource to use when looking for jobs is indeed.com . On this website there are many different jobs listed that are available in your area specific or not. You just put in where you live and what kind of job you’re looking for and it will give you tons of results! There are even teen jobs listed on there sometimes if you don’t want to apply at someplace like McDonald’s or somewhere like that (which wouldn’t be bad either!)
A good idea is to get on Facebook and look up your city or town, then put in ‘jobs’ into the search bar. You never know what you might find! Another thing that is great to do is go onto high school and college websites and type in jobs, because sometimes students post there and they could be looking for employees.
One of the most important things about getting work experience while you’re still young is that it will help you with how you dress for an interview. You can ask your friends for advice on this if you don’t know which clothes would be suitable yet. It also helps with how to present yourself properly when walking into an interview room so that you’re confident and know what to do.
Getting your first job is hard but once you get it, you’ll realize how easy the rest will be after that! Keep these tips in mind when looking for work so that you can find a good job.
What are the things to take care of when sending resume for job in USA?
1) Resume needs to be written very carefully. It needs all your details like education, experience and skills (if any). Ensure that it does not contain offensive remarks or words . Keep the contents very accurate. It’s good to highlight what you can do with reference to their requirements mentioned on company website or employment ads.
2) You need a cover letter along with your resume . The cover letter is equally important as your resume itself because it helps introduce yourself before actually sending them your resume. It briefly explains how you have come across this job opportunity and why you think they should consider hiring you over other applicants who might have similar qualifications as yours.
3) Format is another thing that needs to be taken care of. The first page of your resume should not exceed two pages. The format must be consistent throughout the entire document; though some companies require resumes in different formats like chronological, functional or combination of both. Ensure that you do not include personal information like age, height, weight, gender etc., as it may affect your chances of getting hired by some companies.
4) Avoid sending more than one copy of your resume unless asked for . Sending multiple copies will only increase the risk of losing it and hence cannot be trusted upon at all. Your best bet is to use an email system for this purpose instead of mailing them on stamps which could become very costly if you send them to many companies.
5) Last but definitely not the least, when sending your resume for job in usa or anywhere else do not forget to mention in the email that you are enclosing a copy of your resume along with this email . It is one way to ensure that they have received it and also tells them about your interest in the company.
Some of the laws you should be aware about before getting a job in the USA.
This is especially true if you are living abroad or are new to the US culture. Here are some facts that will help. Note that these facts are primarily meant for people who are applying for jobs in the US.
1. If you are seeking employment in the United States, it is very important to be completely familiar with all of the laws related to hiring practices. These can include anti-discrimination laws; wage and hour regulations; working conditions; benefits; safety; whistleblower protections; wrongful termination or retaliation protection; family leave & medical leave (company sick pay). It’s also like that these laws vary by state.
2. It is important to know that there are essentially two kinds of informational interviews processes – employment at will vs. employment with just cause/just cause protection. When an employer says that it is “at will,” this means that either the employee or the company has, in theory, unilateral power to terminate the employment relationship for any reason at any time, WITH ONLY FEW EXCEPTIONS. In this situation, the employer can fire you without notice or warning and you have very little recourse. If an individual does not have a contract specifying just cause protection, then they are an “at will” employee.
3. When an employer says that it has employment with just cause/just cause protection, this means that in order to terminate an individual’s employment without violating state or federal law, the company must prove one of three things:
a) A good business reason – such as poor performance; inadequate qualifications; misconduct on the job – is sufficient grounds for termination.
b) The employee violated a written policy or rules contained within their employee handbook.
c) The employee was a member of a group protected by law (for example – pregnant employees, individuals who file worker’s compensation claims, or employees accused of sexual harassment). This means that the company has to have “just cause” to fire you which means that they must have substantial proof that your termination is justified despite any written policy in the employee handbook.
4. As of 2009, US law requires that all companies with 100+ employees allow individuals up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for family and medical reasons in any 12 months. Companies with 50-99 employees must adhere to this policy by July 2010 while companies with 25-49 employees must do so by January 2015. If a company has less than 25 employees, then it is not required to adhere to this policy due to the high cost of implementation and/or administrative burden.
5. In addition, many states require employers to allow individuals up to 12 weeks of unpaid medical leave during any 12 month period if they need it for their own serious illness or injury or for that of a family member. It may require the individual to produce a doctor’s note in order substantiate the need for such leave.